We are well and truly into winter and there’s no better way to keep warm than with a hearty soup amigos! And who doesn’t love that extra kick a touch of chilli adds? Try this spicy Mexican soup – the perfect comfort food for this time of year!
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins
2 cans whole tomatoes in juice
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh jalapeño chilli including seeds
2 teaspoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- Drain 1 can tomatoes, discarding juice, then purée with remaining can tomatoes (including juice) in a blender.
- Cook onion, garlic, chilli and ginger in oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy non-reactive pot over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, for about 8 minutes. Add cumin and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in puréed tomatoes, broth, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 2 teaspoons salt and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Working in 3 or 4 batches, blend soup in blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids).
- Transfer soup as blended to a sieve set over a large bowl and force through sieve, discarding seeds.
- Stir in sugar and salt to taste.