Hola amigos! It’s that time of year again…Chile harvesting season! So we are sharing one of our Abuelas delicioso recetas full of Mexican chiles – Roasted tomatillo soup with chicken.
You will need:
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- Tajin chile powder
- 900 grams of tomatillos
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 poblano chillies canned or El Cielo ancho chile dried
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 5 stems cilantro
- 1L homemade chicken stock or reduced sodium broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 small piece of El Cielo Dried Chipotle crushed
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Valentina hot sauce
- cilantro, with stem removed
- lime wedges
- El Cielo white corn totopos
- Chicken: Preheat the oven to 175° C. Sprinkle on tajin chili powder until well coated. Place chicken in the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes and shred with a fork.
- TOMATILLOS: Change the oven to grill. Spread the tomatillos out on the lined baking sheet stem side down. Place under grill until charred, approximately 10 minutes.
- PAN ROAST: On a dry cast iron skillet, toast the onion, anaheim and jalapeno chilies, and garlic, turning until charred on all sides. Remove the stems from the anaheim and jalapenos, then cut into chunks. Add half the onions, cilantro, chilies, and garlic to the blender jar. Blend until there are no chunks left, then pour it into the pot. Repeat with the remaining tomatillos, onions, cilantro, chilies, and garlic.
Add the chicken stock to the pot and stir, then add the shredded chicken along with the cumin, El Cielo Dried Chipotle, pepper, and salt. Cook over medium heat about 20 to 30 minutes. Taste it after 10 minutes and decide if you want to add the Valentina hot sauce. Serve hot with the garnishes