Today, we’re going to share one of our favorito Mexican side dishes!
The core ingredients for the perfecto side dish is tomatoes, chilies, rice, garlic and onions!
Traditionally, we sautee the rice in a skillet until golden then add the chicken broth, water and tomatoes! This is a very popular side dish in almost every spanish culture and can be done many ways.
Here’s our take on arroz rojo!
⅓ cup canola oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 medium jalapeno, minced
1 tablespoon of El Cielo Mexican Oregano
2 cups long grain white rice
100 grams of canned or 2 fresh tomatoes, cored and chopped
2 cups chicken broth
200 grams of Black Turtle beans
200 grams of canned corn
½ cup fresh cilantro, mince
1 lime, juice.
Salt to taste
1 Fresh habanero for garnish
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic and cook until golden and soft following by jalapenos, oregano and habaneros.
- Stir in and cook rice for 2-3 minutes, followed by tomatoes, chicken stock, beans and canned corn.
- Cook till boiling and simmer on a low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in cilantro, lime juice, salt to taste and leave to rest with a cover up to 5 minutes before serving.