It seems there has been quite a bit of backlash floating around our socials towards cilantro lately. Although it has now been found that a small percentage of the population that have the gene: OR6A2 compares eating cilantro to putting a bar of soap into your mouth (you poor things) we thought for the rest of us out there who do like the taste of cilantro to enlighten you to a few reasons why you should be adding this power herb to your everyday mexican meals!
- Healthy Vitamins: Cilantro contains 5% of your daily intake of vitamin A and 2% of your daily intake of vitamin C. It also has vitamin K and small amounts of folate, potassium, manganese and choline, as well as the following antioxidants beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin, lutein and zeaxanthin.
- Natural Preservative: As cilantros is high in antioxidant, studies have shown that the oils from the leaves inhibit unwanted oxidation when added to other types of food, making other vegetables and fruits last longer and stay fresher!
- Antifungal Properties: Studies have shown in the past that oil extracts from cilantro can fight off fungal infections!
- Skin Health: Past studies have shown that cilantro extract can help protect the skin against damage caused by Ultraviolet (UV) B radiation.
- Detoxification: Coriander is a common ingredient to be added to detoxifying juices and drinks due to mercaptan, a cleansing agent. Furthermore studies show cilantro to be used as a natural water purifier too!
So there you have it amigos! Cilantro can be added to almost everything mexican and even on your everyday veggies, as a garnish for soups and salads, dip or added into your smoothies and juices!